The Ministry of Hospitality & Ushers at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church serves as hosts and hostesses to warmly welcome the people of God to each liturgical celebration, as well as perform various duties as required of them.
The Ministry of Ushers is the oldest lay ministry in the Catholic Church. The Ushers of today have descended from a long line of people of God who have gone before them. During the time of Christ, the doorkeepers of the Temple numbered in the hundreds and were the forerunners of today’s ushers.
Youth will usher at the 9:30 mass and as needed at Holy Days of Obligation throughout the year. During the summer mass times, they will usher at the 10:30 mass. Any youth interested in this ministry should contact Susan Engel at email@example.com.
Requirements: Ushers must be finger-printed, and need to contact the Parish office to make arrangements.
Usher duties include:
- Greeting parishioners and opening the Gathering Space doors.
- Seating latecomers toward the back of Church to avoid distracting others.
- Not allowing latecomers to take seats while Scripture is being proclaimed, homily being preached or people are praying.
- Offering assistance to parishioners when requested or needed.
- Being aware of those who leave Church during Mass and their whereabouts.
- Being alert to emergencies and knowing proper procedures for handling them.
- Maintaining safety and security in back of Church.
- Helping with Communion procedures as required
- After Mass, as needed, directing people to Gathering Space for coffee or to areas for receptions, sign-up sheets and other parish business.
- Opening Church doors for parishioners’ departure after recessional has begun.
- Distribute parish bulletins after the Presider and ministers have exited the Church.
- Picking up personal items left behind and putting in lost & found.
- Cleaning up litter and properly disposing of it.
Those interested can contact Mike Memmesheimer at firstname.lastname@example.org